Sunday, December 5, 2010

Save some $$ while you save GrandMother Earth or a tiny piece of her

Through the clean window of my French Doors
What can I say? I'm a clean window and mirror freak-a-zoid. The energy in my nest just doesn't feel as good if the mirrors, windows and come to think of it picture glass isn't sparkly clean.

I like to clean my windows before putting up any Winter Holiday decorations and today is window cleaning day! Clean windows maximize the amount of light flowing through - and light is not exactly abundant in the great dark north during this time of year. I also imagine that the energy and the blessings of the coming New Year will flow more easily from the universe to me through my clean windows. Part of the charm is what is in my window cleaning bottle.

One of the biggest myths perpetuated by manufacturers of cleaning products is that said products make it "easier" to clean. In our harried minds that often translates to the idea that these products will somehow do the cleaning for us or at least motivate us to clean more often but it doesn't work that way.

The truth is that you can mix your own, more earth friendly window cleaner in about a minute and for pennies.

There is also an entire crop of new "Green" manufacturers who sell extremely expensive items designed to feather their pockets while we buy and use those products in order to "save" the Earth. When you can't afford their exorbitant prices it's natural to think that you're not wealthy enough to save the Earth. I assure you that is far from the truth. It's possible to make your own contribution no matter how tight finances are.

I don't consider wasting money to be very green when there are other more simple alternatives around. Mixing my own cleaning products while saving money makes me feel twice as good. Add the fact that I can get in some pretty decent activity if I throw on some music and boogy my windows clean and you triple the charm.

So enough chit chat and onto my recipe for window cleaner...

1 empty spray bottle (about the size of the average window cleaning spray bottle)
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
3 tablespoons of ammonia (not the sudsy kind)
4 tablespoons of witch hazel (optional) why it's in the mix is a long story but I like to add it.
5 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol (optional but makes the cleaner evaporate faster)
6 drops of basil essential oil (optional)
7 drops of sweet orange or lemon oil (optional)
Fill the rest of the bottle with water and use as you would any window cleaner.
I shake mine before each window to be sure everything is mixed up.

Should you decide to get creative with mxing up your own cleaning products be really careful about mixing bleach into anything, especially ammonia or vinegar! You'll inadvertently make toxic fumes in the process.

No comments: