Sunday, January 2, 2011

Skin Brushing, Salt Glow and Hydrotherapy

Skin Brush

Skin brushing is an amazingly simple yet beneficial and economical self-care practice.

Add some hydrotherapy and possibly a salt glow and aromatherapy to the practice and you've elevated it to something you'd pay big bucks for in a spa setting but can recreate at home for pennies.

If you google skin brushing you will find sites that make all nature of claims about what it can do. I, myself have experienced some pretty amazing benefits from regular skin brushing.

What I can honestly tell you is that skin brushing increase blood and lymph flow. It exfoliates the skin which leaves it smooth and soft after a period of regular brushing.

NEVER brush as though you're trying to remove three layers of skin. A gentle brushing - imagine butterfly wings fluttering over your skin - is all that's necessary to increase lymph movement. Take care if you decide to alternate cold and hot water in your shower. Start with gentle changes in temperature.

If you find yourself gasping or creating raised blisters chances are you're being a bit too extreme in your approach.

Here's a great article that describes the salt glow, hydrotherapy protocol as well as an aromatherapy protocol you can add to it all.

This article gives a lot of those amazing claims I told you about. Below the claims it provides both basic and very exacting instructions on how to perform skin brushing.

4 comments:

smilingsurfer said...

Thanks so much for sharing this info. I have gotten out of the dry skin brushing habit, and your post is inspiring me to make this part of my routine again.

Lannette said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad that something I've shared has moved your life in a positive way!

smilingsurfer said...

Hi Lannette,
I have enjoyed reading your posts at YYFs for many years, thanks for all that you do!

Lannette said...

Aha! I thought I recognized your user name. Thank YOU very much for the compliment. I'm glad that you've enjoyed them.