Monday, April 25, 2011

Green Smoothies

I feel like this is kind of old news as I've been drinking a green smoothie daily for years. I decided that I'd blog about it anyway on the off chance that someone reading hasn't heard about them.

Green smoothies are packed with loads of good for you things. Tons of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants. They're simple to throw together and you can make a huge variety of different smoothies using one basic recipe. The basic recipe below makes two large servings. I often put my serving in two small mason jars and have half at lunch time and half mid-afternoon. You can half the recipe if you want to make a single serving.

Green Smoothie

2 pieces of fruit or two cups of chopped fruit (may use frozen fruit)
3-4 cups of water (may substitute milk or nut milk for water)
2-4 handfuls of leafy greens
2 tablespoons of flax seeds
2 servings of protein powder (optional)
2 tablespoons of raw wholegrain (if using a vitamix) or 1/4 cup of cooked whole grain (optional)

Pour water or milk into a powderful blender. Add other ingredients, cover blender and blend well. If you are using a vitamix you won't have any problems blending it right up. If you are using a regular blender you may want to blend in one ingredient at a time. A vitamix will handle frozen fruit more easily than a regular blender.

If you are new to Green Smoothies use baby spinach and only put in one handful at first. Then as you get used to the flavor you can add in more spinach and eventually try other greens. I regularly enjoy spinach, kale, collard greens, leaf lettuce and romaine lettuce. Sometimes I am a purist and only use one type of fruit and one type of greens at other times I mix my fruits and/or greens. There are lots of other interesting ingredients you can add but I'll leave that for another day.




To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life. ~ William Londen

4 comments:

smilingsurfer said...

Thanks for sharing your recipes, Lannete. What sort of whole grains do you prefer? Oats? Quinoa?

Lannette said...

Hi There!

I love oats and oat bran. I also love Quinoa. I tend to love any and all whole grains including wheat but I have to watch my portions closely because wheat doesn't seem to love me as much as I love it.

I can get whole rye flakes that look like oatmeal at our health food store.

My absolute favorite though is to sub a half of a small baked sweet potato skin included for the grain. It thickens and sweetens the smoothie nicely. I add cinnamon to it when I use sweet potato.

I plan to add some more posts on healthy eating and some links to websites I use for the wellness program I coordinate.

smilingsurfer said...

Thanks to your blog, I have made green smoothies 4 times this week. I had a pretty purple kale with some berries, sprouted flax meal, whey, yogurt, chlorella, and almond milk. Pretty good!

Great blog, Lannette. Thanks :)

Lannette said...

That sounds delish Smilesurfer! I'm so glad that you're enjoying the blog. I'm hoping to post more and more regularly. I have a list of things a mile long of topics and links.