Friday, June 22, 2012

Behind the Curtain: The problem with Ballet

I had a totally different post planned for today but happened upon THIS ARTICLE and felt compelled to post it.

I can't claim to ever having been a professional ballerina. I danced with a regional company. I was a partial owner of a very reputable professional dance studio. (Thanks to a great curriculum we had graduates who are now professionals.)

Yet even at this less than professional level I felt some of the injustices that this article talks about and saw it when our students moved up the ladder in an attempt to forge a ballet career. If I had $5 for every time a dancer auditioned and was declined and simply told to lose 10 pounds I could buy something really nice! Maybe a new smaller wardrobe - just kidding. :)

The article really describes the behind the scenes professional ballet world quite accurately and that's sad. Most young children love to dance and we don't want to take that away from them but surely there is a better way.

Editing this to say that I know that my last two posts were on the negative side. I'm not personally feeling negative - those subjects just happened to cross my radar. Tomorrow I have a more positive post on using T-Tapp and bodyweight exercise to carve out sculpted arms.

No comments: