Saturday, July 21, 2012

Making a Silk Purse Out Of A Sow's Ear

If you recognize that phrase you're probably as old as I am. My grandmother used to say that. They don't have cool phrases like that anymore. The buzz phrases of late only serve to set my teeth on edge. Like using the non-word "lurv" in place of love when posting on forums. I thought I'd grind my teeth to nubs before that one went out of vogue. But let me get back to the point of pulling out granny's cool phrase.

I'm not in the market for a car. We already have three perfectly serviceable ones. But for whatever reason my eyes feel upon an ad from a local car dealership and I just about snorted the water I was drinking through my nose. They've done away with "Previously Owned" cars!

If you're old enough to remember the "Sow's Ear" thing you no doubt remember that "Previously Owned" cars used to be known as plain old "Used" cars until someone decided that "Previously Owned" had a nicer ring to it. Well, that's all changed.

Now you can buy "Previously Loved" or sometimes "Pre-Loved" cars. That one had me scratching my head until I realized that the genius that coined the phrase probably figured that we'd consider a previous loved car to be currently unloved and decide to adopt it as if it were the runt of the litter. Personally, I'm not buying it. No pun intended. The website where I found this sign is now down for upgrading but I think I might like to buy my next car from Smiling Sam's.



No comments: