Thursday, September 20, 2012

Do You Cycle Your Exercise Intensity?

If you're like most people who are bit by the exercise/competitive exercise bug you'll probably cycle through a stage where you'll want every workout or practice session to be THE hardest/longest/toughest/fastest/most advanced session possible.

It can be a lot of fun to challenge yourself and see just how far/fast/long you can go. However a steady diet of it is, quite honestly, overkill. This is especially true if you have life committments outside of working out. I've been there and done that and missed a bit of the poetry of life while I was wedded to the gym and the almighty workout.

Lately I've been taking another approach that helps me have the best of both worlds. I cycle my workouts. My most recent cycle has been one really tough, full out slipping in a puddle of sweat session, then two almost as tough and certainly as sweaty but a bit shorter sessions. In between these I sandwich two sessions that are lighter and shorter with fun factor. Finally, I add a downright easy session - usually Yin Yoga and a day of rest. Rest doesn't mean spending the day in bed but I do take it easy. A smell the roses kind of day.

I'm loving this intensity cycling approach! I look forward to every workout and I'm reaching and surpassing the personal goals I've set for myself.

I won't lie, it can be downright scary to scale back the intensity and/or time - even for a single workout - but the benefits far outweigh any risks. Be brave, give it a try and see for yourself.

No comments: