Friday, September 14, 2012

Don't be Afraid to Give Yourself the Best

"The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for." - Maureen Dowd

I used to be the ultimate bargain shopper and to a degree I still am. These days however I'm just as likely to pass up even the biggest bargain as I am to spend what some might term a small fortune on a single piece of furniture, item of clothing or pair of shoes. Sound like a contradiction? It really isn't.

I've just become more mindful where it comes to what I buy. If I'm looking for a certain item and it goes on sale I'll snap it right up but I won't buy something simply because it's a good deal. On the other end of the spectrum I'll buy a premium item if I know that it's something I'll really enjoy - or if the person I'm buying it for will enjoy - especially if it's a style that's timeless and will be around for a long time. Odd as it sounds switching to this new way of looking at things has actually saved me money in the end because I buy less over all. I'm more willing to wait for exactly what I want and content to settle for quality over quantity.

This philosophy can also march right into pretty much every aspect of your life and will have similarly positive benefits.

Try this simple exercise. Check out ever shoe or piece of clothing in your closet and decide which ones you positively love wearing. Which outfits make you feel like a million bucks? HMMMM How'd you make out with that?

No comments: