Friday, October 19, 2012

Thought for the Weekend: Fear of Failure

We learn wisdom from failure much more than success. We often discover what we will do, by finding out what we will not do.
- Samuel Smiles

This quote indirectly brings me back to the question I ask myself regularly; What do you want your life to look like?

You may or may not have read a previous blog post where I said that when stumped on this question I often find it helpful to think in the reverse and ask myself, "What don't you want your life to look like?"

Those two questions provide a lot of support and guidance as I make the life decisions we all make.

I also think that there is much benefit from asking myself if it is perhaps fear that holds me back when faced with areas of life where I just don't seem to be able to make progress.  

This is often easier said than done of course. We can be quite good at tricking ourselves into believing that it not fear but a bunch of other life circumstances that hold us back.

Luckily for me I have another question that often helps me blow through my own self deception. "What is the very worse thing that could happen if you were successful with ___________. Woven into the answer to that question is often the fear that holds you back.

So my challenge while decidedly not simple could be quite enlightening.

-Think of an area of your life where you feel blocked.
-What is the very worse thing that could happen if you were to become  unblocked and achieve your goal in this area?
- What would your life look like if you achieved this goal?
- Would achieving it move your life in the direction in which you want it to move?

That's a lot to think about but it's ok. After all, we have all weekend to ponder it.

No comments: