Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Reaching Goals: Action Plan

A goal without a plan is a wish! If you want to seal the deal and reach your goals you have to have an action plan. It doesn't have to be complicated or terribly detailed unless that feels right for you.

Think of it this way; If you were going to drive cross country you'd probably at least take a map. An action plan is like a map in that it keeps you on course and helps you avoid taking detours that would slow or derail your progress toward your goal.

I personally don't like to set action steps that last longer than a week and in some days (I'll talk about his tomorrow) only 3 or 4 days at a time. When I do this it feels like I'm setting a series of mini-goals.
I get to celebrate meeting each step of the journey to the goal I've set.

I also like my action steps to have a "what if" clause. That what if is usually reserved for a day that doesn't go as planned.

If my goals was to walk for 30 minutes three times a week I would have a "what if" clause that would allow me to walk for 10 minutes three times or walk for 10 minutes twice and do two or three sets of hoedowns that day in place of the walk. Or replace the walk with step away the inches or if you aren't a T-Tapper another walking dvd. It's my back up plan and I use it without guilt.

If your goal were to eat healthy meals and you forget your lunch you might have a backup goal that will provide 2 or three healthy choices from a local deli or cafeteria. Stick to the choices and you stay on plan.

As you are formulating your action steps be mindful of barriers that might pop up in the back of your mind and make adjustments in the steps or your goal as needed.

It's also extremely helpful to time your action steps. If you're walking three times a week mark the days on the calendar. Make an appointment with yourself and then keep it!

If you're working to improve nutrition plan meal choices out ahead. Keep a list of quick, easy, healthy meals so you can know what you'll eat before your're starving and looking at a huge gooey danish. One Mantra that serves me well is as follows; "This food is not leaving the planet today."  "If I want some tomorrow or the next day it will be here waiting for me." Repeat it mentally 9 tmes while walking in the opposite directionn of the offending food or drink. :)

My challenge to you today is to put together some action steps toward your goal. If you still didn't make a goal then by all means go back and re-read this series again.

I'll end with yet another favorite quote/mantra of mine. "Yes, You can!" - Theresa Tapp

No comments: