Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Benefits of Lymphatic Massage

This article talks about the benefits of lymphatic massage. If you are not into massage with extremely light pressure I will tell you that Swedish massage also moves a tremendous amount of lymph.

That's one of the reasons I like to "sandwich" deep tissue and other specialty forms of massage between Swedish strokes. The Swedish strokes warm the muscles and begin to soften them before the specialty massage strokes. After the specialty massage strokes Swedish can help flush the area with healing blood and also refresh the lymph in the area.

It can be difficult to do this with Myofascial massage because you really don't want a lot of glide for these types of strokes so I usually reserve the oil and the Swedish strokes for after myofascial work.

This is also one of the reasons I insist upon genuine 100% Jojoba oil, to which I add my own essential oils. Depending upon how much jojoba I use I can create huge variety in the amount of glide I achieve.

It's also important to note that many of the benefits listed in the article can be obtained through lymph pumping exercise. The "tapping" exercises I outline under the "New or returning to exercise" label can depuff swollen ankles depending upon the reason for the puff. (If one or both of your ankles suddenly swell it is a definite reason for a call to your doctor.)

T-Tapp and walking are hands down the best exercises to pump lymph. I say this about T-Tapp because it is designed to sequentially pump lymph.

Skin brushing also helps move lymph.

When you use massage, lymph pumping exercise and skin brushing together you can't help but feel a difference in your energy level and how healthy you feel!

 

No comments: