Friday, November 30, 2012

Thought for the Weekend: Creating Stepped Goals - The T-Tapp Bootcamp

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. - Martin Luther King Jr.


I love this quote. I wanted to use it today since I'm talking about creating stepped goals.

The first time I created a stepped goal it was with a T-Tapp boot camp. I was a trainer for a very long time before I ever attempted a 14 day boot camp. To be honest I was afraid I'd fail. So I just never attempted it - no attempt = no failure. It also = no 14 day bootcamp!

That fear was what was blocking my goal so I made a plan to over come it.

Instead of making a goal to achieve a full 14 day bootcamp I made a series of goals that would either lead me to the full bootcamp or allow me to bow out, guilt free, at whatever level best suited me. It looked like this:

1. I will do a 4 day T-Tapp bootcamp. Once I hit day four I'll celebrate and re-evaluated my committment to continuing onward to the next step of my goal and a 7 day bootcamp. If I am not ready to move on I'll celebrate my achievement and begin practicing T-Tapp every other day.

2. I will do a 7 day T-Tapp bootcamp. Once I hit day four I'll celebrate and re-evaluated my committment to continuing onward to the next step of my goal and a 10 day bootcamp. If I am not ready to move on I'll celebrate my achievement and begin practicing T-Tapp every other day.

3. I will do a 10 day T-Tapp bootcamp. Once I hit day four I'll celebrate and re-evaluated my committment to continuing onward to the next step of my goal and a 14 day bootcamp. If I am not ready to move on I'll celebrate my achievement and begin practicing T-Tapp every other day.

4. I will do a 14 day T-Tapp bootcamp. Once I hit day 14 I'll celebrate my achievement and begin practicing T-Tapp every other day.

This style of goal making has been serving me well for years! I never feel badly if I don't make it through the entire goal. Interestingly enough I never skip out just because I can. If I stop the goal at an intermediate step it is always for a very good reason. (An example would be when I stopped the Ballet Body Periodization Schedule after 3 months.)

I'm also happy to say that yesterday I reached my goal of a 10 day T-Tapp bootcamp and recommitted to doing the full 14 days! I'll review the dvd I'm using soon. It was new to me and I really love the compresehensive workout it packs into a very brief time.

You can reach your goals and stepping the goals can make it a pretty much pain free experience. Well other than the muscle awareness that's a sure thing if you're doing T-Tapp! ;)

Your challenge today is to consider what personal goal you might be able turn into a stepped goal. If you've been following the SMART goal series and working up a specific goal consider stepping that one. Have a great day!



No comments: