Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Addicted to Junk

The book Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us is on my "want to read" list.

When I first heard about it I honestly thought that it was just a rehash of previous books on the subject.

But ealier today I listed to THIS Fresh Air interview on NPR and my interested was sparked. Also if you click on the book link above and scroll down there's an amazon.com Q&A interview with Michael Moss.

I've seen just how addicted processed foods are. I've seen people look like they wanted to cry when you begin to talk to them about the need to change their diet in order to avoid really serious health issues. They are literally scared to death of the thought of giving up their processed, fast and restaurant food.

This stuff can literally kill you. Oh to be sure the death is more like shooting yourself with a BB gun day after day after day rather than bringing out the big guns and taking one clean shot. It's a slow drawn out death filled with a growing medication list and a shrinking wallet as health costs climb. Dramatic?  Yes, but also all too true. <shaking head>

No comments: