Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Rush to Advanced Exercise

"Which T-Tapp workout is the most advanced?" "Which barre workout is the hardest?" Can you recommend a "puke in a bucket" HIIT cardio workout? HMMMMM actual questions by actual people, often those who have barely gotten their feet wet in the fitness arena.

One message I wish I could get out the general public is that doing the most advanced, toughest, puke in a bucket workout doesn't make you advanced, especially if you haven't prepared yourself and are using poor form. What it is more likely to do is to: Build a dread factor so that you dread your workouts, exhaust you without any significant long term benefit, and/or injure you. Sound like a bargain? I don't think so either.

Our society is big into external signals. The infomercial commercial with the guy or gal with the ripped abs, the pencil slim model who's had one set of ribs removed, lipo and countless other procedures to bring her to that all elusive "perfect" state, the airbrushed personality on the cover of a magazine.

My challenge to you is to spend a week listening, really listening to your body from the inside out. When we constantly chase after "advanced" we're really chasing the future. Instead cultivate being comfortable with where you are - right now - and be content to - through consistent, sane movement -see where each and every moment will take you.

This can be very difficult if you've had a life or physical set back that moves you from a higher level conditioning to a lower one - I've lived that scenario. It can be just as hard if life has slowly but surely rendered you less and less active and you wake up one day and realize that you aren't that 18 year old football player, ballerina, gymnast, active teenager any more.

I can honestly tell you that it's possible to feel and move like a person who is much younger than your years. It's also possible to do this and not wake up every day with pain from the workout you did the day before. You also don't have to be a slave to the gym. But what you do need to do is find comfort with where you are, learn mental and muscular awareness and turn a blind eye to the steady stream of media telling us what is wrong with us and how we should "fix" it. Oh and by the way if you call in the next 10 minutes we'll send you a free plastic gadget and  charge you an arm and a leg for having done so..... 'nuf said?

5 comments:

Kathy said...

A very timely post. Thank you Lanette. I've always enjoyed your wisdom and teachings.

Lannette Madden said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog Kathy. I can't tell which Kathy this is and don't want to post a last name in case I'm wrong so I'll leave it at Hello again. :)

Dayna Talbot said...

Great post ....

Dayna Talbot said...

Great post~

Lannette Madden said...

Hi Dayna,

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I'm also sorry that your comment didn't show up immediately. I was having trouble with a lot of spam and so I tweaked a few settings. I'm not supposed to have to moderate every single comment but at times they seem to get stuck. I have to check for them more often.