Friday, March 29, 2013

Less Than Ideal Reasons To Buy An Exercise DVD

Yesterday I listed some of the best reasons to buy an exercise DVD. Today I'll list a few of the less than ideal reasons to buy an Exercise DVD. Everyone is different of course and my less than optimal reason might sound like the best reason you've ever heard. If that's true feel free to comment. Again, these reasons can apply to other things we buy and tend to over buy.

1. I think that a pile of unopened exercise DVDs sitting anywhere in your home (unless they are truly gifts waiting to be wrapped are a reason to put a moratorium on new DVDs. I don't think you have to commit to opening and doing each and every DVD before you make another purchase. I do think you should sit down and look at each one, think about when how and why you purchased it and look for a pattern. Again, this is the newly budding minimalist in me typing here. If you discover that having a stack of unused DVDs makes you feel good or secure or any other positive emotion then go for it!

2. A bunch of people you know are shelling out $250.00 each to buy this system. They're all excited about it and it sounds like the next best thing - seriously this could be it! This could the thing that finally makes life all new and fresh for you. This could be a great purchase if you are truly enthused about this product, it's a steal of a deal and you know you'll use it. If however, it's the third major system you've purchased in the last 6 months and you never really used the other two systems, it might be time to take a cool-off week and wait it out.

3. You just have a need to "collect" every single DVD of any fitness celeb you decide to try - whether or not you actually use them. The word collect or collection is a sure sign that your DVDs are more decoration than functional lifestyle change media. Unless of course you are 
truly using them on a weekly basis.

4. You already have 50, 100, 150 DVDs and you haven't workout to a DVD in 4 weeks. It might be ok to buy but it's prudent to look at past patterns and decide if THIS DVD is likely to change past patterns. 

I could go on and on but my point is that for many people the excitement of thinking about acquiring a new DVD, buying it and waiting for it to be delivered becomes a habit that never leads to actually using what they have. This never brings about the aesthetic change or for that matter the lifestyle change that we're longing for. 

In all honesty, consistency is the only magic bullet. You've got to actually make the time to do workouts on a regular basis. Now that's when the magic begins!

Note: I posted this series after an innocent question from Bee. Please don't think that my words are aimed at her. From her reply it sounds like she's actually using what she's purchased. I've been meaning to write about this for quite some time. Her question just reminded me of these partially written posts hanging out in my draft box. 

2 comments:

Bee said...

Hey Lannette, thanks for both of your posts. I think you have convinced me to wait for now -- I will keep doing what I got from the Total package and keep watching the monthly specials. I appreciate your candidness!

Lannette Madden said...

Hi Bee, I'm sure you made the right decision for you. You might want to plan a short boot camp using the DVDs you have. If you have - and think you probably do - Basic Workout Plus you can use that as a warm-up to 20-45 minutes of cardio.

There are also floor moves that you can begin mixing in for free. I plan to link to some of those next week.

I want to make it abundantly clear that I'm not here to drive a constant stream of purchases out of people who read my blog. I would rather be here to help them make good decisions about products that they are thinking about buying.