Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Smacked upside the head by Daylight savings time?

Ugh! When I was younger DST was but a blip on my radar and I couldn't understand the people who complained that it upset their entire system for a couple of weeks. These days I'm the one who could complain but since it's not my nature to complain I choose to endure instead.

I don't think that it's just being older. The long days I've been working tend to add to the issue.
Besides that I just don't like it. Prior to this past weekend I was getting up in the dark but driving to work as the sun came up and it felt soooo good. It signaled spring. Now it's again pitch black for my commute and I get home so late that it's again dark. I miss the supposed benefit of the hour that was rudely taken from me last Saturday night!

My solution to this dilema is to use full spectrum bulbs in my home and also to have my daily cup 'o tea in front of a light box. It really does take away that sun deprived feeling. Light boxes used to be terribly pricey but the prices have come down. This HappyLight Compact Energy Lamp looks exactly like the one I use at work which cost twice as much about 7 years ago.

I've talked about SAD before. I always think in terms of being out of the worst bit of light deprivation by now but I guess not.

Another thing that helps me is to do a set of Hoe Downs to move out the sludge and get my body moving.

Here's hoping that there's more light where you are but if not rest assured that there are things you can do to smooth the transition from the dark time of the year into light.

No comments: