Sunday, March 24, 2013

T-Tapp 60 Day Challenge Lessons Learned

I am by nature, an examiner and a ponderer. I'm also looking at how my body interacts with the environment around it and also with what I put into it. I look at those interactions and then I - hopefully - learn from them. I've been this way since I was a tiny girl.

The T-Tapp 60 Day Challenge was chock full of great info I needed to learn - almost to the point of epiphany.

The biggest take home message for me was the fact that sometimes you have "let go" in order to move forward. It's natural to want to "take charge" and "make it happen." Yet, in her own wisdom Mother Nature may have other ideas and her ideas are probably more holistic than straight - choke it down - "diet and exercise."

We all carry a mental snapshot of our best selves. It's often an arbitrary mental picture of ourselves at a much younger age. It's not unusual to seek to "turn the clock back" and attempt to become that person again or at least not move forward in time. Media and manufacturers feed on this and drive it.

The problem is that the time we spend on trying to turn back the clock and worrying about whether or not the clock is actually turning is time we take away from ourselves right now.

During the 60 day challenge my life wasn't consumed with exercise as it was when I was following and reviewing the Ballet Body Periodization schedule. I had a loose schedule but if I felt truly tired one day I had options that made more sense than a tough exercise session would have made.

I also put any notion of dieting or weight loss on the back burner. I didn't weigh myself and still haven't. I put the notion of plenty of healthy food ahead of any other agenda. I enjoyed the soups and salads and yes, even the healthy desserts that I made for both me and my family during the challenge.

Tossing diet and extreme exercise and concern about both of those things to the curb left more time for the things that matter and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that time. My body showed me how much it enjoyed this new and improved, kinder and more gentle me. The decrease in inflammation, the positive postural changes and yes - as self absorbed as it sounds the inch loss were all signs that this was a good change for my body.

I enjoyed regaining that time enough that I'm kicking one more thing to the curb - the old, er I guess that would be young hard core me. I can't say that she won't pop out now and again because - well - that's just the way it works when you attempt change.

I'm also not saying that I'm going to give up any notions of being healthy and fit and begin eating bon bons while exercising my fingers with the remote.

I plan to continue to use T-Tapp to rebuild my body from the inside out using a sane schedule that is more rejuvenation than it is punishment. I plan to continue finding and trying healthy recipes without dieting.

So I guess you could say I'm downsizing my approach to being a vibrant, radiant, healthy human being of a certain age. And come to think of it, maybe that had to happen before I could truly and honestly begin to downsize the rest of my life.

On that note I'm going to sign off and enjoy a little Celtic Doggy Dancing. What's that you ask? Well, THAT is the subject of a future post. :)

No comments: