Monday, March 11, 2013

Thought for the Week

"The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want." - Ben Stein

This picture was motivation for our kitchen plans
though it's much bigger than our space.
I'm pretty sure that I've referenced that quote before. I don't usually put up quotes during the week and labeled this as "thought for the weekend" with my other quotes. I had such a nonstop weekend that I needed to stop, take a deep breath and see what I achieved for the time I spent.

I mentioned our kitchen remodel plans. Our kitchen is at best a challenged space but with a lot of brain storming, a kitchen planning program and with much patience and resolve we - I think - finalized the plans for the kitchen.

We will be using some downsized appliances and some full size. Despite the size constraints I think it will be a great little kitchen. In planning it I was thinking of our daily and weekly routines in the kitchen and how I could make the kitchen appliances and layout  simplify those routines.

One for instance is that our every day dishes will be white, just plain white. I found a great handmade reproduction plate rack with shelves for bowls and cups and hooks to hang mugs. It will be situated near the sink and dishwasher (full sized) in place of a wall cabinet (it's cabinet sized) so that unloading it won't even require so much as opening a cabinet door and the dishes will look great because they'll all be solid white. Below the plate rack will be hanging containers to hold silverware.

Overhead and just steps from the stove and convection microwave will be a pot holder. Steps from anything is easy to achieve when your floor plan is a postage stamp. LOL!

I used to curse it and wish my kitchen was bigger. Once I embraced it for what it is I am seeing the potential of the space. I think I'm going to love this kitchen! Now we just have to figure out a step by step plan for making it happen in a way that disrupts our lives as little as possible. I'll let you know how that plays out.

1 comment:

Lannette Madden said...

Sorry about the font in this post. Not sure what happened.

I tried to fix it and it appears to be fixed in blogger but hasn't show up as such when I look at the post.

Not time to play with it right now.

Have a great day!