Tuesday, March 26, 2013

To Tuck Or Not To Tuck.........

Who knew a little tuck could be so complicated?

There are various fitness sources that now say that sustaining a pelvic tilt or tuck isn't a good idea. I've read that clenching your glutes in order to hold a tuck can end up causing a muscle imbalance. Clenching your glutes can also close off the muscle activation that T-Tapp works to achieve. You can read discussion on the concept of the T-Tapp Tuck HERE.

There is a huge difference between simply performing a pelvic tilt AKA tuck and performing a T-Tapp tuck as part of the comprehensive T-Tapp stance. A simple pelvic tilt is most often done in isolation. A T-Tapp tuck is part of a comprehensive stance that's achieved in a specific order. IMHO, It's a case of apples and oranges.

Over the years the T-Tapp tuck has become larger than life but it's really not all that complicated. The newer, Senior Fit DVD does a wonderful job of making the stance and the tuck simple. I honestly believe that everyone from those totally new to T-Tapp to established Tappers can benefit from the slow steady attention to detail that the workouts on this DVD provide. 

A great way to simplify the TT Tuck is to simply imagine you are pressing and/or flattening your low back against a wall behind you. When I perform the movement this way - with bent knees of course - I can immediately feel a vertical stretch and release in my low back. When I compete the rest of the steps to move into the stance the release becomes horizontal in addition to vertical. Of course thats how my body experiences it - your might feel different.

Another way to experience the simpified tuck is to lie on the floor with knees bent and legs in linear alignment. Knees should be lined up with hip bones, feet in front of sits bones and flat on the floor. Just put your hands on your abdomen for now. Next press down into the floor with your feet. Be sure the pressure is equal on each foot. You should feel your pelvis curl a bit and your low back press into the floor. Voila! T-Tapp Tuck! The workout on the dvd that I linked to above does a better job of teaching this and then of building upon it than I can do in print but you get the idea.

We now that a trimmer midsection has been shown to be a harbinger of decreased risk. For many of us this can be next to impossible to achieve with diet and traditional exercise. I'm putting my money on increased muscle activation to get me there and from what I saw during the 60 day challenge the T-Tapp tuck done as part of the comprehensive T-Tapp stance is going to get me the results I'm looking for.


3 comments:

Bee said...

Hey Lanette, I am a newish t-tapper because of you. I have the Total package that was on sale last month, plus the book. I'm looking at the March specials and wondering where to go next. So you know, I am a 51 year old in good shape, through menopause. I'm thinking about the step package, the hit the floor package, but wondering about the menopause one as well. Any advice? And if I go through the link on your blog, do you get some credit?

Loving the tea, by the way!!!

Bee said...

Hey Lanette, I am a newish t-tapper mostly because of you. I bought the Total package that was on sale last month, and I also have the book. I'm looking at the March specials and wondering where to go next. I'm thinking about the step package, the hit the floor package, and maybe even the menopause one. Any advice for me? So you know about me, I am 51 and in good shape with no weight to lose, through menopause. Also, do you get some sort of credit if I go through the link on your blog? Thanks for any advice you might offer.

Loving the tea, by the way!!

Lannette Madden said...

Hi Bee,

I answered your questions in a new blog post. They are very common questions and I thought that answering them there would give more people access to them.