Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Aging Gracefully - What does that mean?

The term "Aging Gracefully" is admittedly one I used to freely throw around but now after reading about Cindy Joseph's concept of ProAging I admit that I'm not sure how I feel about that term.

I embrace her concept that the only thing that we can count on is that we will be in our bodies from the time we are born until the time we leave this Earth. This idea is a major motivation for taking care of your body.

So I think at this point I'm trying to figure out what "ProAging" means to me. Can I define the line between ProAging and AntiAging? Sounds silly but if you think about it you really do need to define that line for yourself in order to establish a set of Self Aging Ethics, if you will.

Dayna had ask what my conclusion was on my Nerium experiment and I really couldn't give her an answer. After more thought I realized that I'm not sure Nerium fits into my long term definition of ProAging. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't fit into your definition. I just wanted to share that I'm trying to figure this out.

So I think that the old question that I used to ask myself on a regular basis - "What do you want your life to look like?" has changed. I've narrowed the focus to "What does self care that honors and celebrates age look like?"

I know that it centers around a healthy, balanced lifestyle. ProAging shouldn't be about not caring about yourself or indulging in habits that are going to age you before your time. HMMM, it's really something to ponder.

If we can define this concept and then live by our definition it will help the joy and radiance in our life flow out around us rather than having arbitrary "things" appear to be true radiance. Does that even make sense?

 

No comments: