Saturday, April 6, 2013

Being Dragged Screaming into the Future :Windows 8



Not Really - I'm just being dramatic. I'm writing this post from our new lap top, which at this point I'm hating. Actually, I'm not hating the laptop, I'm hating Windows 8. Arrrgh!



Thought for the Weekend: When I computer company gives you a free copy of "Windows 8 For Dummies" simply for registering a product it's a bad sign. ;(

We had considered blowing the wad and purchasing a touch screen laptop or all in one. We had considered going all minimalist and using my most awesome Asus transformer tablet with dock and turning our back on PCs. We had considered moving to Apple - nah, that one didn't float for long at all. Actually I say we but it was mostly me who did the investigation, DH did a lot of nodding and telling me to do whatever I thought best. LOL

In the end we ended up with a decent though not ground breaking laptop. Unfortunately it has Windows 8. I think that W8 would be a better experience if we had gone with a touch screen. The problem with touchscreens is that they aren't really proven - at least not in my eyes. That makes them way more expensive and less responsive and reliable than they will be in 3 or 4 years when we feel we'd be ready to move into something more high tech. So here I am learning a Windows OS that was designed to be used with a tablet or touch screen and therein lies the rub.

Luckily, I seem to be able to figure things out by poking and prodding and I'm getting a handle on it pretty quickly. That doesn't make me like it any better but it at least makes it bearable.  

No comments: