Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Trials and Tribulations of Portion Control

http://hungrymotherorganics.com/
After having such great results with my Cholesterol Numbers I've decided to work on - and I do mean really work on - portion control and paying attention to my hunger signals.

It's been harder than I expected but also more rewarding than I expected. One of the benefits has been that I've been trying a ton of easy prep and new - to me - recipes.

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I was hungry more than full for the first week. That was a downer but it let me know that I've probably been over eating, at least mildly. The hunger is settling down now and I'm happy to report that food tastes soooo wonderful when you're not eating more than you need - even when that food is quite simply prepared.

One of our favorite recipes is roasted tomatoes. You can roast a full tomato that's been cut in half but I prefer to cut cherry tomatoes or those yummy tiny heirloom tomatoes.

This is how I roast them:

1. wash and cut 1-3 packages of heirloom tomatoes in half and place them in an appropriate size bowl with a snap on lid. (I'm talking about the tiny, cherry tomato sized heirlooms)

2. I add 1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar, about a teaspoon of  onion powder and another of garlic powder. 1 tsp. -1 tablespoon of oregano depending upon the number of tomatoes I'm roasting. A nice dash of rosemary and a tiny drizzle of Braggs Aminos.

3. Put the lid on and gentle shake to totally coat all the tomatoes. You can marinate them for 30 minutes if you have the time. Be sure to shake them at least twice if you do that.

4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread the tomatoes out evenly.

5. Bake them in an oven at about 275 F for an hour to and hour and 15 minutes. They'll be shriveled and become very fragrant when they they're finished.

I like to pack them up into these small glass containers I have and pop them into the fridge. You can toss a serving over a salad or over whole wheat pasta or brown rice for extra flavor. Or just eat them on their own. Roasting intensifies the aroma and flavor and that intensifies the satisfaction of eating them. Yum!

I can't wait until later this year when I'll be able to roast our home grown tomatoes, hopefully in our outdoor oven.

No comments: