Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thought for the Week and Beyond

I've subscribed to Morning Mantra for years. It's a free subscription and every morning a new quote pops into your Inbox.  I'm frequently surprised at how many of the quotes seem to directly relate to what is going on in my life despite the random nature of having an arbitrary quote arrive via email on a daily basis.

The following quote arrived yesterday and I've been wanting to share it ever since.

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it." - Henry David Thoreau


We continue to downsize our belongings and find a  daily need to decide between items we're sure we can't live without, things we'd like to keep but know we need to let go of and things that cause us to roll our eyes and wonder what we were thinking when we stored them away.

It's so easy to become swept up in the riptide of  "American Life" as we know it. Simply blink and  weeks, months, even years have flown by and hindsight, you're left wondering if you really "lived" that time or did you actually sleep walk your way through it?

It's also amazing how, by simply beginning the downsizing process, you change the entire energy of your environment. One simple change brings about another and soon you've unlocked the stagnation and have things - physical, emotional and mental - flowing again.

The challenge for today is to think about the different elements of this day and what price each element extracts. This kind of thinking can span as many aspects of living as we can conceive. It's another way to unblock any stagnation we might be experiencing. After all, you can't "go with the flow" if nothing is moving.


 

2 comments:

DLKJ said...

I read and enjoy your posts each day;however, I usually do not make a comment. I was pondering a major life change this morning when I opened your blog and read this
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it." - Henry David Thoreau
it spoke directly to my life, and the choices I am considering. Just had to comment to let you know that your blog really does effect others. Thank you.

Lannette Madden said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment DLKJ. Your comment made my day. I wish you all the best as you explore your life and the changes you want to make and then being to make them.