Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Crockpot Lasagna Revamp

The electrician connected my new stove and refrigerator yesterday but I wanted to share a recipe for crockpot lasagna that my family really enjoyed while the kitchen was being gutted and readied to its update.

I found the recipe HERE. It wasn't what I would consider "healthy" but I liked the fact that it's light on pasta. I made a few changes to lighten it up and my family raved about how good it was.

The changes I made:
1. I subbed ground turkey breast to lighten the saturated fat load.

2. I used whole wheat pasta to make it "whole grain." I believe that brown rice pasta could also work but I'm not sure how that would change the cooking times.

3. I used fat free ricotta and part skim mozzarella - again to lighten the saturated fat load.

4. I used a whole egg but two egg whites would also work.

5. I did actually use a jar of marinara sauce. I can't remember the brand but it's pricey and there is a whole lot less salt than in other jarred sauces.

6. I added my own mix of herbs to add flavor.

7. I also subbed asiago cheese for the parmesan and probably used about half as much as called for. Since asiago is so flavorful this didn't hurt the taste of the finished product.

It literally takes minutes to throw together. It was ready after 3 hours. The recipe doesn't make so much that you're eating up lasagna forever. I think that you could increase the number of noodles but I honestly liked the fact that this recipe wasn't total carb overload.

Add a tossed salad with a light oil and vinegar dressing and a nice variety of raw vegetables and  you have a fast and easy meal for a busy day. Add a glass of good red wine and good conversation and you feel like its a special occasion.

I'll probably make this again even when our kitchen is back to fully functional. When I do I'll try using our own homemade sauce and will add a thin layer of organic baby spinach leaves over top of each layer of the ricotta mixture. Hopefully I'll be able to use our own home grown tomatoes and spinach later this summer. I already was able to snip the herbs from the square foot herb garden we put in earlier this spring.

Enjoy!

 

No comments: