Monday, June 3, 2013

Shopping Like I Live in Europe

It's been interesting around here because we've been without a full kitchen and are limited to a small refrigerator. That means that my normal healthy eating MO of preparing several healthy dishes on the weekend and prepackaging lunches and evening meals is out the window. Well, the several meals part of the plan doesn't work because there isn't enough room to refrigerate more than a few extra meals at a time.

This has led me to look at shopping and food prep in a whole different light. It hasn't necessarily been a bad thing. It's actually been more of a learning experience.

I've learned that:

1. The crockpot can be my friend and there are a lot of great recipes out there that can be easily converted from high fat, white carb and sodium to a healthier balance.

2. Stopping at the grocery store more than once a week can be a good thing as long as you don't indulge in impulse buying. You catch unadvertised specials and finds you would have otherwise missed. You just need to be able to think on your feet and decide what you can do with the "find" and how quickly you'll be able to use it.

3. I thought I might become a "grazer" but I'm still a two to three squares a day kind of gal.

4. My green smoothies and healthy blenderized "creamed" soups provide me with a lot of hydration! When I am limited on being able to consume them as usual I get really thirsty unless I glug down a ton of water!

5. I'm not sure I'm cut out of a pioneer life. I am SO ready to be reconnected to our new fridge and stove!

No comments: