Monday, July 15, 2013

Easy Trick to Save on Dishwashing Detergent


In a previous post I mentioned that I wasn't sure what to do about all the  dishwashing detergent we've been using because of being without a dishwasher. I've wanted to try Mrs. Meyer's Dish Soap but it's more expensive than the other brands. I bit the bullet over the weekend and I have to say that like the other Mrs. Meyer's products I find this to be a bargain. You need only use a small amount.

BUT, better than the new dish soap is the fact that I cam up with a soap saving idea that is really working for us. I took a small spray bottle and filled it about a third full of Mrs. Meyers dish soap. Then I filled the rest of the bottle with water. I begin with a dishpan empty other than the dishes I need to wash. I pick up the first dish. squirt the dish soap and water solution on it (1-2 squirts will do it) use my eco sponge to wash it and rinse it with hot water allowing the rinse water to flow into the pan. Repeat the same procedure with the next dish and the next until you have a pan full of hot soapy water in which case you can finish any remaining dishes and move onto the pots and pans and/or baking pans.

This method cuts down on use of dish soap and water and the dishes come out really clean. It's working really well now that we are at the stage where we have no kitchen sink for a short time and are working at a makeshift set up. I don't think I'll ever be without a spray bottle of diluted dish soap on my kitchen sink again.

I know you can get dish soap dispensing sponge or brush setups but I've never really found one that I thought worked all that well. If you have a favorite feel free to suggest it.

No comments: