Friday, August 9, 2013

24 Hours of Aromatherapy

The article 24 hours of Aromatherapy by Jeanne Rose outlines ways of taking aromatherapy with you over the course of a day.

I haven't ever put my diffuser on a timer but it sounds like a great idea. One thing I do enjoy is to add a few drops of Eucalyptus EO to the shower floor and then block the drain for the first few minutes of my morning shower. It provides a gentle but effective wake up call.

On occasion I will also drop a few drops of rosemary EO into my palm to use while I'm shampooing my hair. I don't do this on a daily basis because I find that it tends to loose that special feeling if I do.

A few drops of lavender used while shampooing my hair can be soothing if I'm feeling stressed or wired and need to sleep well.

Two things to remember:

1. It's a good practice to dilute essential oils using only a couple of drops. The rule of thumb I learned is that you never use more than 10 drops total in a tub of water when preparing a therapeutic bath.
2. Use food grade oils if you are going to add them to water, drinks or food to be consumed.


Essential oils are available in a variety of price points. I found this set of six bottles of  100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil . It's a nice starter kit. If I had to recommend only a single oil I would suggest Lavender. I'm particularly partial to T-Tapp Bulgarian Lavender Eseential Oil because of its purity. I've used it on my skin and face, straight out of the bottle and find it gentle but also effective.

There are many good online resources,. pamphlets and books available to use if you would like to build a regular program of essential oil based self care. The massage school I graduated from gave us a great handout that we keep in our massage office to this day.

Years ago my sister gave me the book Aromatherapy: A Lifetime Guide to Healing with Essential Oils by Valerie Gennari Cooksley. I enjoy using the recipes it contains to this day.

Recently one of my clients shared a recipe for tick repellent: Place 10 drops eucalyptus EO, 10 drops lemongrass EO and 4 ounces of pure filtered water (or tap water in a pinch) in a spray bottle. Shake before each use.  We've been using it on ourselves and the dogs (I spray by hands and gently glide them down their fur, especially around the ankles). So far so good. The side benefit is that it smells wonderful.

 Please take care when using essential oils on or around your pets - especially cats. Certain oils can cause adverse reactions in pets. The same is true for certain oils and humans. That's why having a guide is an important part of using them if you're going to venture past Lavender.

If you read this and have a favorite essential oil, EO recipe or story please feel free to share.

No comments: