Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Connection Between Vitaimin D and Athletic Performance?

Love this picture! Found it at www.stronggirlswin.com
The online article "Vitamin D Sufficiency May Enhance Athletic Performance" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman outlines this important connection and two studies that demonstrated this connection.

He also talks about how in the early 20th century it was believed that sunlight exposure improved athletic performance. I marvel at the wisdom of our ancestors given the few long term scientific studies in those times.

Most of my athletic prowess centers around being strong enough to easily put the limbs of my clients through range of motion and into stretches these days but I believe that this article still contains important information for me AND for them.

It also brings two of my grandmother's sayings into mind:

"You are what you eat."

and thinking about how we've become a nation that hides from all sunlight out of fear of cancer....

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."

and that brings me full circle back to this one...

"Moderation in all things."

No comments: