Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Too Much of good Thing? Can T-Tapp Help?

A study connecting long term endurance sport practice and atrial fibrillation  and atrial flutter recently came across my desk. My immediate response was to begin searching for reaction to the study and information and additional information.

I quickly found this. It's enlightening but a technical read. Then this - also a bit of a technical read.

Finally I found this PDF which presents the information in a more engaging way, makes some sense of it and suggests alternatives.

I hope that people won't see this as reason/excuse to completely abandon cardiovascular activities.  I can't imagine my life without cross country skiing in the winter, hiking in the fall and trail runs and walks in the spring and summer.

Personally I believe - and this is a comparatively instinctual versus educated opinion - that two things are at play.

First inflammation - there is just no way that you can layer heavy duty chronic cardio workouts one after another and not build at least some inflammation. Scientists are now connecting systemic inflammation to many, if not most of the chronic disease processes that are so prominent in our society.

Second is the idea of dose related adverse effects. Our bodies are like machines and if we push the machine hard and long on a consistent basis there are going to be repercussions. It all comes back to the idea of "If some is good more is not necessarily better."

Finally let me talk about T-Tapp and how I believe it can help. I so wish that every long distance athlete would be able to try T-Tapp.

Over the years I've discovered that by rebalancing the body it actually improves performance but it seems to do this without increasing my inflammatory response. I personally believe that the sequential lymphatic pump it employs has a lot to do with this. Improved body alignment also comes into play.

Making it part of your program gives you a pause from the chronic cardio but it's the "rest day" that improves performance while restoking your fire.

Please note that I'm not saying that T-Tapp would or could prevent Afib in endurance exercisers. I simply believe that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain  by adding it in place of chronic cardio once or twice a week.

I'd love to hear from any endurance exercise lovers who have added it to their program.

No comments: