Monday, October 28, 2013

Amazingly Simple and Delicious Homemade Yogurt

I'm a member at the Dr. Fuhrman forums and while visiting I was introduced to an amazingly simple method that makes really delicious yogurt.

I was in the market for a new yogurt maker anyway so I purchased the Euro Cuisine YM80 Yogurt Maker .

Then I purchased GI ProStart . I have to admit that when I got the jar of starter I was surprised at how small it was given what I paid for it. In the end I'm ok with it though because you only use 1/8 teaspoon to make a quart of delicious soy yogurt and you don't have to heat the soy milk or so much as dirty anything more than a measuring spoon to do so.

Finally I purchased Westsoy Organic Unsweetened Original Soymilk ( 8x64 OZ) . DO NOT buy this using the link. It's way cheaper in the grocery store. I included the link so you can see what I'm talking about.

My yogurt maker came before my starter and I'll admit that I tried making yogurt with unsweetened silk soy milk and a starter I got in our co-op and the results, while fairly tasty, weren't as good as with the westsoy. I think that's because Silk does contain some thickeners while Westsoy is simply filtered water and soy beans.

I also think you could make this with regular milk if you prefer.

So here's what you do. You take your 32 ounce box of room temperature soy milk open the top and put 1/8th tsp. starter into the opening. Then close the little lid and shake, shake, shake. Actually, you don't have to shake too long. I think I lasted about 15 seconds. Then open the lid and distribute the soy milk equally between your yogurt jars. I turn the yogurt maker on and leave it do its thing over night. (I'll usually start it right before bed - 8pm and it's done when I get up at 4 am. )

The yogurt it makes is delicious, even plain. It's a low calorie treat that you can feel good about indulging in.
 

No comments: