Sunday, February 23, 2014

Healthy Greens ready to serve in only minutes

Today is Instant Pot day! I've decided that I'm under utilizing this kitchen tool and need to start using it so I can become more proficient with it. So far I cooked up a batch of collard greens and one of Swiss chard. I'm lazy so I used the same base for both.

1cup of low sodium vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons tomato paste (both no salt added) then a dash of garlic and onion powder and a good sprinkle of basil and oregano. I cooked the collards for 1 minute and they turned out very nicely cooked but tender crisp. I cooked the chard for 2 minutes and it turned out "melt in your mouth' Tender.

I think I could easily "main course" them by adding cooked beans, a few chunks of oven fried sweet potatoes and some baked tofu or the vegan sausage if I care to. (Have to admit that I'm shying away from too much vegan sausage because of the wheat gluten it contains.)

I also think they would be excellent as a side dish or poured over salad greens, with added beans, cherry tomatoes and other chopped veggies using the sauce as a dressing. (This will be lunch today.)

Collard greens rank 1000 on the ANDI and Swiss Chard ranks 670 so they're amazing nutritious in addition to being amazingly delicious!

No comments: