Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Bare Foot Walking

Snow covered door mat
Yep, those are my feet, snuggly wrapped up in a Neoprene 2mm Neoprene Water Sock for warmth and Xero Shoes Amuri Z-Trek sandals. I love these sandals! First of all they look pretty regular without socks. Second of all they are adjustable and feel oh so comfortable.

One of the things that I learned from my first Katy Bowman RES Certification Skype session was that I need to do more outdoor walking in minimalist shoes. It's been so cold here this winter that I've been doing most of my walking indoors. That's not great because the surface is flat and unchanging.

That's why I teamed up the neoprene socks with the barefoot sandals. It allows me to walk, essentially barefoot, outdoors as long as there's not more than an inch of fresh snow on the ground.

I've already noticed some differences between barefoot walking and walking in my earth sneakers - ha! I'm definitely dating myself by using the word "sneakers." During barefoot walking I can feel my feet and toes helping me navigate the ground. When snow - less we still have some - forced me to walk in my sneakers after not having done so for a few walking sessions I felt like I was walking in boxes. It was as if my shoes were casts around my feet that were making my gait less efficient.

If you want to move to more minimalistic footwear I suggest you begin indoors by walking around the house barefoot - take special care if you are being treated for diabetes and be sure to wear slipper socks and sweep your floor before walking on it without shoes. 

What else can you do? Strengthen and stretch your feet. I'm loving my foot and hand sessions -so relaxing and revitalizing. "Why would I want to do that?" you may ask? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our feet are our foundation, our base of balance, yet we box them up and rarely think of them unless they hurt. Think about how useless a house is if it's built upon a poor foundation. There's also the whole reflexology, Eastern Traditional Medicine thing and the fact that our body is reproduced in the pressure points on our feet.

Here's an amazing thing to ponder. Movement-wise, our feet should be able to do everything your hands can do. Yet when was the last time you so much as wiggled a toe?

I'm going to be reviewing some DVDs I enjoy using to increase the strength and flexibility of my feet. More on that later but here's a challenge for today.

Sit down, remove your shoes and socks. Wiggle your toes. Point your toes like a ballerina - it's ok guys, no one's looking. Pull your toes back toward your shins to flex your feet. Draw a circle one way and then the other. How'd you do? Did your Foot cramp? Do your circles look lopsided? All the more reason to repeat the challenge several times a day.

If you have time check in below and let me know how that felt.

Review 1

Review 2

No comments: