Tuesday, April 28, 2015

How to Live to 100 Plus and I Do Mean Live Well!

I'm enrolled in a course that will result in a certification as a community wellness advocate.
I'm just finishing the first module. So far it's been quite interesting but the best part is that many of the materials presented are available for sharing. THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO is a shortened version of a video we were asked to watch. (I'm going to try to embed it below.)




If you don't have 20 or so minutes to watch the whole video skip to 15 minutes.
If you skip the beginning however, you'll miss seeing the faces of some of these centaurians (I think that's the term.) They glow with health, purpose and happiness.

I'm a little surprised at how many people will quickly tell you that they do not have any desire to live to 100 or 90 or even 80! Comments such as, "Old age isn't for sissies." abound.  I believe that's because we don't value the wisdom of age and we picture age to equal chronic disease and disability - but it doesn't have to be that way! The other message that this video provides is one of hope and self-empowerment. Even if you are living with chronic illness now you have the power to improve your health, your life.

The list of "top secret" things these long lived people have in common isn't very long. The items on the list are simple but of course simple is not always easy. (Oh yes, check out the "exercise" piece of the equation.)

The one thing that gave me pause is that they can immediately tell you their purpose in life, their reason for getting up each morning. Whoa! I had to think about that one. I'm still thinking. That's living with passion. Are you living with passion? Me? I'm working on it.



No comments: