Monday, April 20, 2015

Somatic Education: Yummy Yoga

I talked about Somatic Education in THIS post. I came upon Yummy Yoga in my search for an affordable follow along DVD demonstration of Somatic Education Movements. Christmas Rypins has done a very nice job on this DVD.

The DVD was released in 2004 but still does a nice job of guiding you through the movements. Participants are positioned in a large circle. I thought this was potentially confusing but this turned out to be a non-issue in the actual doing of the DVD. I had read earlier reviews, which stated that the DVD is not chaptered. Happily this turned out to be untrue for me and my DVD was well chaptered.

The DVD contains chapters for both play and scene selection. Scene selection is further divided into:
1. What is somatic movement?
2. Somatic for the lower body
3. Seaweed legs
4. Upper Body
5. Relaxation
6. Resources and Credits

Upper and lover body segments are approximately 20 minutes each. Seaweed legs is demonstrated (it's part of the lower body segment) and we are told we can opt to continue the movement for longer. Relaxation is progressive in nature and I believe around 5 but not more than 10 minutes. Sorry, I was too busy relaxing to note the time. :)

This DVD is a great adjunct for the book I reviewed yesterday. I think this DVD is a great way to get in touch with your sense of proprioception.

As I mentioned in my previous post, linked to above, I believe that Somatic Education could be a great adjunct for those in chronic pain but also anyone studying an exercise method (T-Tapp, Barre, Ballet), form of movement (Ballet or other dance), or sports activity (competitive or not) where there is an emphasis on coordination. This could be especially true for the person who has always felt like uncoordinated.


Tomorrow I'll review a few additional resources.



No comments: