Monday, May 4, 2015

Late to the Party: Mason Jar Salads

http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/
2014/02/12/instagramable-lunch-ever-
14-healthy-mason-jar-salad-recipes/
I have to admit that before I actually tried mason jar salads I considered them to be rather fussy and more aesthetics than function. This past week I discovered I was wrong!

Because I follow an EAT TO LIVE eating lifestyle I have a daily goal of eating a pound of raw vegetables and a pound of cooked vegetables daily. Mason jar salads make eating the raw vegetables so much easier.

The major benefits for me are:

1. A one quart mason jar holds approximately one pound of finely chopped vegetables. If I have 4 full mason jars in the fridge I know I have 4 days of raw vegetables. A one pint jar holds 8 ounces.

2. The vegetables stay very fresh. No spoilage.

3. Making a huge salad is effortless. I simply place my greens in a big bowl and then empty the jar onto them and toss. (I also add 1/2-1 cup of cooked beans - yum!)

4. I can pack the vegetables without vinegar or add flavored vinegar when I pack them for marinated vegetables. This provides a nice variety.

The video below is longer than some others but I like the fact that he encourages us to plan for actually putting the jars together. 

I also purchased a pack of these  Ball Wide-Mouth Plastic Storage Caps to make the whole process that much easier.

The video shows the use of animal products. My mason jar salads are all veggies all the time but to each his or her own. I'm not here to convert anyone to veganism. I just want to open your eyes to the wonders of vegetables!




No comments: